Last night Twitter, Instagram, Tumblr, & Pinterest were all in a frenzy for hours on end discussing the 2012 Met Gala! I am one of many that really only gets excited to see the elaborate dresses and not so hot frocks that grace the red carpet! Most of my friends and I discuss who we loved at the Met Gala & its interesting to see who loved the over the top dramatic dresses and some that adored the more simply effortless looks. The idea of being invited to such a chic and fashion forward event is one many only dream of.
Just imagine being catered to from given designated a makeup stylist, hairdresser, and to be chosen to wear a garment of choice determined by a famous designer!
But on to the above photos from last night. There were really only a few wow moments, you know jaw dropping celebrities that really made you look twice to really take in their whole look! Beyonce, Solange, Leighton Meester, & Chanel Iman were a few stunners that gave us pure dramatics with their dresses. Of the four just mention, Solange was a dream in a yellow number with big teased hair and soft makeup that allowed you to see her beatiful features and appreciate the simplicity of the dress. She was undoubtedly effortlessly chic!
There were a few looks that were disappointing and some were down right awful! Lets take a look and critique shall we?!
1. Chanel Iman & Tom Ford. She was a walking dream in her TF gown with mesh cut outs! Tom Ford looks very handsome as well.
2. Beyonce definitely wanted to make a statement with her racy Givenchy dress. The intricacies, the beading, and all of the feather drama that followed in her train looked amazing! She had to let us know that she is a mother but she is snatched and that no one can take her crown!!!! LOL
3. Backshot of Queen Bey’s dress…..SLAYED!
4. “Mellow yellow” as Solange called to herself looked so glam in her Rachel Roy dress!
5. Anna Wintour in Prada with a lobster claw which was an ode of Schiaperelli with daughter Bee Shaffer looked effortless!
6. Leslie Big in Zac Posen. I love the deep hue of blue on her skin and the fullness of her dress. ZP will always give you dramatics!
7. Leighton Meester looked really pretty in this gold Marchesa number. I love how minimal her makeup looks, dewey skin, and dark vampy lipstick pulls the whole look together.
8. Diane Kruger in Prada. She looked really comfortable and fun!
9. Jessica Stam in Dior. Walking in wearable art, I loved it.
10. Rihanna went for a more understated, sleek, & sexy look in this crock embossed Tom Ford black dress. She played it safe in silhouette but the dress is BAD!
11. Marion Cotillard in Christian Dior Couture. I love the sheerness mid thigh down.
12. Lily Collins wore Valentino looking airy and whimsical.
13. Kate Bosworth was another easy ensemble with this feathery Prada frock! Another dark lip which looked good.
14. January Jones wore this art deco inspired Versace dress which complimented her frame really well.
15. Janelle Monae. Now although it was nice to see her in something different than a tailored suit I’m not really feeling this jumpsuit.
16. Gwyneth Paltrow. Looking sleek in Prada.
17. Sofia Vergara has such an amazing silhouette yet she wore this awful Prada dress that does nothing for it. She looks like she’s smuggling children under the peplum :-/
18. Jessica Biel. Newly engaged rocking an amazing ring yet paired it with this matronly Prada dress! Her hair was just as boring.
19. Sarah Jessica Parker usually gets it right so she gets a pass in these curtains — I mean Valentino! But she need not try this again!
20. Paula Patton’s makeup & hair was flawless. But when I see this Vera Wang dress on her I feel she’s going to prom and not the Met!
21. Lastly, I did not know that couples wore complimentary suits! Swizz Beatz looks better than his wife Alicia Keys & that should never ever be the case! Just a mess!
In the words of one of my favorite Twitter friends:
“The #metball is where you can wear whatever you want as long as it shuts down the museum. So don’t be boring!” – Jonathan Valdez
I couldn’t have said it any better!
That about wraps up my best and worst looks of 2012’s Met Ball Gala.
Who were your favorites? Who were your worst?